5.1 Refusal Skills – Work File
Read each of the case studies located on the activities page in the 5.1 assignment and choose one of the case studies to complete the refusal sequence.
Using the refusal skills sequence, complete the case scenario by indicating how you would refuse to be involved in the situation. Include all eight steps of the refusal sequence, and use the format indicated below for each step.
(List the step then the action)
Answer the reflection question below the eight steps.
1. What are they asking me to do and why?
They are asking me to participate in an activity that is illegal and against my personal values.
(Double space after each answer.)
Case Study Number ___#2_________
1. What are they asking me to do and why? (10 points)
The popular boy/girl is asking me to come to one of their parties that have a reputation for drugs, sex, and alcohol and which is against my parents morals/rules.
2. Label what they are asking you to do (i.e. illegal, dangerous, etc.). (10 points)
They are asking you to lie to/sneak out from your parents and go to a potentially illegal party with drugs, sex, and alcohol.
3. Determine the consequences if you get caught or if you participate in this activity. (10 points)
I could lose my parents trust, become addicted to drugs or alcohol, become raped or do something I wouldn't have done otherwise if I wasn't under the influence, and worst case scenario, mix too many drugs and alcohol or get drugged and die/fall into a coma.
4. Communicate my refusal. (10 points)
"I'm sorry, but I don't think I should."
5. Say no. (10 points)
"No thanks, I'm staying in."
6. Use "I" statements. (10 points)
"I feel I shouldn't go because I do not want to disobey my parents and get in trouble."
7. Suggest an alternative. (10 points)
"No thank you, I really wanted to go to this movie coming out that night if you wanted to come...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document