COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF CITY UNIVERSITY
DIVISION OF BUSINESS
SEMESTER A, 2013-2014
BUS20282 ACCOUNTING INFORMATION SYSTEMS
The assignment consists of two sections: Case Study Questions and MYOB Assignment. For Case Study Questions, your group requires to submit a case study report to tutor according to the required instructions. For MYOB Assignment, your group allows to discuss the questions in the assessment session. Each student requires completing the Answer Sheet and producing required accounting reports to the tutors within 2 hours. Assessment session is going to be held on 3rd December 2013 (Monday) from 10:00 to 12:00.
SECTION A (CASE STUDY QUESTIONS)
Adapted and modified from:
David Freeman “Computer Upgrade: To Hell and Back”, INC Technology (15th June, 1994): pp.46-53.
1. Identify and describe the systems development activities involved in the case with case examples according to Systems development lifecycle (SDLC). 2. Do you agree that ABC did a good job selecting, installing, and implementing the new system? If so, why? Or do you feel ABC could have done a better job? If so, what did it do wrong, and what should it have done differently? 3. How could ABC have avoided the missing features, conversion and reporting problems?
4. Evaluate Steve’s economic feasibility analysis. Do you agree with his numbers and his conclusions?
1. A case summary (no more than 200 words) should be provided in your report. 2. The length of the report should be no more than 1500 words (excluding case summary, cover page, table of contents, list of references and appendices). 3. Use Times New Roman, font size 12, single spaced, 1 inch margins and without large gaps between sections, single page. And, Section headings should be Bold, Time New Roman, font size 16; Sub-section headings should be Bold, Time New Roman, font size 14.
4. Submit your written reports in both of two ways:
Online through myBlackboard learning systems by one of your team-mates
Hardcopies to your tutor’s pigeon holes
5. Please follow the sample front cover of the report as your first page of the report. 6. Submission deadline of Case Written Report is on 3rd December 2013, 12:00 7. You are required to fill in and submit the peer evaluation form to your tutor’s pigeon holes individually on or before 3rdDecember 2013, 12:00.
SECTION B (MYOB QUESTIONS)
Date: 3rd December 2013 (Tuesday)
Time: 10:00 – 12:00
Venue: Computer Lab, 4/F, Academic Building 2
T01, T02, T03
T04, T05, T06
T07, T08, T11
Please come to the venue before 15 minutes before the session starts. You should use the MYOB application at a computer terminal. You will have to amend names of accounts, and create new accounts, and records of customers and suppliers if necessary.
At the end of the assessment, you should hand in completed Answer Sheet and your printed reports.
CASE STDUY: ABC LIMITED
Steve Cheung owns ABC Limited (ABC), a healthy food product distribution company. Business was poor until Steve conducted a free seminar demonstrating how to successfully use his products. He left with a $2,000 order and a decision to sell to grocery stores that allowed him to demonstrate his products. Steve’s strategy paid off as ABC grew to 30 employees, 3,000 customers, and sales of $5 million. ABC carries 500 products, compared with 5,000 for most distributors. The smaller product line allows ABC to achieve a 24-hour order turnaround, compared to over two days for the competition. Steve occasionally has to work late packing orders and driving them to the FedEx hub a few towns away so he can meet the 2:00 A.M. deadline.
After buying a computer and installing a $5,000 accounting package, Steve thought everything was going great until Tracy Chan, a consultant from a ABC supplier,...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document