Student's name:_______________________________ Shift:__________ Student's code:__________________________ Class:_________
AMERICAN LITERATURE I MID-TERM TEST
TIME: 50 minutes
1) According to the U.S. Declaration of Independence (1776), what are the fundamental rights that all men are born with and cannot be deprived from?
a) Freedom, Equality and Democracy
b) Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness
c) Life, Freedom and Equality
d) Freedom, Equality and the Pursuit of Happiness
2) Which of the followings is NOT true about American culture? a) It is racially and ethnically diverse
b) It is influenced by Native American, Asian and Polynesian cultures among others. c) Cultural patterns are exactly the same throughout the whole country. d) British culture contributes greatly to its formation.
3) Which of the following authors doesn't belong to the 'Lost Generation'? a) Ernest Hemingway
b) Harper Lee
c) F. Scott Fitzgerald
d) Gertrude Stein
4) In your own words, briefly explain what you understand about the Iceberg Theory and The Theory of Omission in E. Hemingway's writing style? How did Hemingway's experience in World War I influence his works?
Correct answer not provided.
5) In the short story Soldier's Home by Ernest Hemingway, Krebs has to face the following problems EXCEPT:
a) He doesn't have enough money to start a new life.
b) He cannot innitiate a relationship with any girls.
c) His family makes him do things he doesn't want to.
d) He cannot reconnect with his old life before the war.
6) In the short story University Days, what issue in the college education system did James Thurber want to point out when he mentioned the story that happened to the football player during Economics Class?
a) The lack of fairness in the system.
b) The lack of consideration for students' individual abilities and differences. c) The lack of practicality in some lessons.
d) The lack of proper management in the classroom.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document